Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Walk with Music


Tunes for the Times!

I’ve been thinking lately about the music that I listen too and I noticed that I’m inclined to listen to Rap and Reggae music for a reason. A really good reason, because the message isn’t deep and it doesn’t push my emotions to other levelswhich makes it easier for me to listen to in a daily basis. Rap is very present, non-reminisce type of music that is pretty good to listen to while driving or doing stuff, there are politically charged and socially conscious raps out there but they aren’t played much on the mainstream, while reggae (old school ones by Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, etc.) gives me a relaxed feeling, messages of freedom and liberty and being “easy” is abound BUT still puts me in that mellow mood. If I listen to a song let’s say from the Cardigans or Tracy Chapman’s “Revolution”, it brings me back to that period where it just came out and back then I was with some activist people that I knew and they were discussing politics and the like. When I hear Prodigy’s “Smack my Bitch Up” it brings me back to when I was in theater and it was the end music of the play where we introduce ourselves. And when I hear rock music from Metallica, GNR, sepultura or those old rock bands my mind goes back when I was in HS when I used to love Heavy Metal, real heavy metal where life was full of angst and trying to be a rebel and different. I also remember my close friend who lives in Dallas Texas now because they had a heavy metal band back then and I would sometimes join them during their sessions to listen to their music and just hang out with them. Live was easy then, it's good to remember the past, not live in the past.

Yes music takes me back in time, Music is in our Soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home